All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Home Page Home Page  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Ralphy Waldo's advice column
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:28 am 
Sarge

Ralph Waldo’s Ballistic weapons tips and advice column.

Hi all! I’ve decided to write this to hopefully dispel any rumors that I cheat. I do acknowledge that it may seem like I do and THAT all comes down to how and what I do when I play. I’ll respond to any questions and answer them to the best of my knowledge.

A little history about me- I’ve been playing Ballistic weapons mod almost since it was first released. I belonged to the Hedsteem Clan that was an exclusive ballistic weapons clan that beta tested the weapons for Runestorm (the developers). I was one of the better players, but this may surprise you, not the best. There were a few players that always owned me backwards and If you’ve been playing UT as long as I have (Since unreal… ugh, just dated myself) then you know no matter how good you are or how cocky, there’s always someone out there waiting to own you.

Some have noted than when I play with stock weapons that I’m not as good- not so, I just have little or no interest in playing stock weapons (unless it’s assault). I don’t really “play” when using stock weapons, I’m just killing time until we get to a ballistic map.

Now for some tips- I want you all to own me backwards and with these tips you’ll get there.

1st. It’s a ballistic server, most of the maps say “ballistic” in front of them, when you play them there are Ballistic weapons. This is obvious? You might say? Well, you’d be surprised how many players haven’t installed mod (and then complain other players are cheating). Without any doubt installing and using the actual mod gives a player a serious advantage. This is a ballistic server, download and install the mod.
http://www.runestorm.com/news.php

Download the latest version. Download the umod and make life easier on yourself. If you’re on a Mac install a mac umod installer for ut2004 (google it, it’s easy to find)

Once you’ve installed it go into settings/input/configure controls and modify your controls to your liking.
I strongly suggest you assign keys to reload, special function 1&2. Dual wield, iron sights, and fire mode.

•Reload: is obvious.
•Special function: Most of the weapons have at least one special function and some have two, most of the time right mouse click covers special function 1, you need to assign one for two (ex. The railguns 2nd special allows a player to see through thin walls and if you didn’t know, the railgun shoots through most walls).
•Dual Wield- sport to two guns and go! A player can hold a gun in each hand- these guns are only pistols and Sub-machine guns. Now you may have noticed that “weight” of your gun greatly effects your speed. I see a lot of player running around with the RPG complaining that other players are running circles around them. Well, they are. Pistols, Melee, and SMG’s allow you to run faster (Melee, as far as I can tell allows you to run the fastest) A lot of the complaints about me are how hard I am to kill comes down to when my health gets low I run away, I switch to melee or dual wield and beat feet for more health.
•Iron Sights: All weapons expect Melee have “iron sights” to improve your ability to aim. Aside of crouching to improve aiming, iron sights is the next biggie. Iron sights allow you to “point and shoot” and actually hit (If you know these weapons really well then you it’s no surprise to point and shoot… and miss).
•Fire Mode: most of the weapons have fire modes- “semi-auto, burst, full-auto” There is almost never a reason to be on full-auto- even on mounted weapons. People have questioned my accuracy, well along with iron sights and crouching, setting a weapon on either semi or burst fire helps immensely with accuracy.

Okay, that’s a good start. I’ll add more and I will try to answer any questions.

One last thing- Skins, if your using a day-glow skin don’t whine about always being found and killed, EVERYONE can see a bright skin on a dark or drab map, a bright skin makes you an easy target. Go back to the characters and pick a less bright skin (you can always check how team color will affect them). Install one of the "swat" skins they have here, those skins are perfect for being sneaky.
Cheers!
Ralphy Waldo

Post subject: Re: Ralphy Waldo's advice column
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:44 am 
Captain

I never thought you were good enough to call you a cheater :P I just think that your mines cheat :!:
:)

But seriously, thanks for the write up. Very good points and advice.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:59 pm 
Over Lord

I am pleased that you posted this information on the website. Thank you ................

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:45 pm 
Over Lord

Thanks Ralph for the information. Much appreciated!

Work before play, and if work becomes play - PLAY HARD!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:54 am 
Clan Member

Oh... So Ralphy and Waldo is the same guy. No wonder I get owned by both.
:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:10 pm 
Over Lord

Very well written. I truly appreciate your opinion and have had similar thoughts on the matter. Bravo for speaking what you feel!!!!!! I encourage others to post their thoughts and concerns!

ImageImageImage

Post subject: Re: Ralph Waldo's advice column
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:55 pm 
Clan Member

Captain_Florida , A BAD ASS , MB42, Manimal, AMEN BROS, I have been playing for some time now,and I feel I can some what hold my own on good days -That being said - There is not one person or player that I have not KILLED AT LEASE ONCE except one Ralph Waldo. WHATS WITH THAT????? EVEN 100 To 1 is ok makes me a better player , but as with Ralphy - hell no!! IT'S NOT ANY FUN WHEN YOU KNOW YOU WILL NEVER KILL Waldo! BS - I say . It's all about GOOD SPORTSMANSHIP , fair play , and yes even give a lesser player a chance, BUT make them work for a kill . There are people of all skills here . When a player drives others away because of a Cocky ATTITUDE, one of two need to happen! * 1. QUIT BEING THE SUPER KILLER WITH GOD LIKE SKILLS , THIS MAKES FOR A MORE ENJOYABLE TIME FOR ALL, LESS LIKELY TO PISS PEOPLE OFF AND IN THE END DON'T WANT OR WONT PLAY WHEN YOUR ON! * 2. BECOME THE PRO WE ALL KNOW YOU ARE AND START MAKING BIG MONEY PLAYING WITH THE BIG NAME PLAYERS OR START YOUR OWN SERVER AND SEE HOW MANY PLAYERS WANT TO BE A PART OF YOUR BAD SPORTSMANSHIP, ATTITUDE, AND SO ON. , I am quite sure if we voted on you to stay or go , sorry to say - I think you would be GONE ! Do what you will and let the chips fall were they will. Just my 2 Cents, Lets all be good sportsmen and women and enjoy what we have here! There IS ROOM FOR ALL ! {ABA}Nvidia Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:25 am 
Captain

My 2 cents.

Preface: Since I'm new here I'm guessing that perhaps there have been instances between players on the server that I'm unaware of.
So, take this from the perspective of someone who's unaware of any other events.

First: I appreciate any help, advice or tips that people offer. I'm always trying to improve my, but I really only practice hard like one day out
of the week and that's mostly because of mood, tired from work and kids etc. Someday I hope for Bonjaa to teach us all how to fly.

Second: I haven't played with Waldo enough to form a strong opinion one way or the other.

I've been playing UT for about 5 years now and I've been playing RedOrchestra on-line for almost as long. I hadn't gotten involved with COD or the other
franchises partly because of the horror stories. That said, I've seen a lot of weird stuff and I've seen a lot of legitimate skills. Some of those skills were taught
to me by some very decent people who were/are really good players. And, I've seen those very same players be accused of hacking (let's call it what
it really is we are talking about), usually by people who just haven't spent enough time playing the game.

And, I've learn one other thing, it's very hard to prove that someone is using a cheat/hack.

I've Killed Waldo on a few occasions so he's not invulnerable. Recently I was getting owned by Waldo on different maps and I went into spectate mode.
Since he noticed this he explained, very well IMO, that he prefers to sit back and snipe. And so, I found him in locations that I would never have thought to look or
find myself. Basically using the entire map to it's fullest advantage, as some of us do on BlackHawk.

So, before we go too far down this road, I suggest that we watch and learn more before any action is taken.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:08 am 
Clan Member

Well, I think playing with a bunch of stupid bots is boring. Any time I get to play another person, whether more or less skilled than me is always more interesting because of the unpredictability factor. Playing against more difficult opponents (whether through skill, increased weapons knowledge or modifications) just ups the ante and forces you to switch your gaming style and M.O. This constant unpredictability is what makes the game engaging and fun after repeated playing. I know that I can't sit back and snipe with Waldo because I know he'll find me high up in the open somewhere so I have to switch to constant moving and overhead cover. He forces me to respond to a particular battlefield context and come up with different strategies. The same could be said for any and every person that enters the game, it changes the game dynamic and makes it so much more interesting. There is nothing quite like the feeling of being the underdog in a battle and somehow coming out on top in the end. (or at least landing a kill or two to your hunter) Anyway, when I start to get frustrated I just step back and go back on later, usually with a different group playing, so no big deal.

On another note, I quite like the complexity of all the weapons. Some take a long time to get used to and are hard to manage in the heat of battle, but that's why we practice, right? I can't count the times I was killed because I was trying to figure out which weapon on which setting would be best to use in a given situation while being killed with a simple knife or pistol! I also find heat seeking missiles annoying because they are so difficult to avoid on such short notice but they are invaluable in certain maps like Rappanui because of the huge distances. Mines are great because they slow people down and force them to monitor their environment instead of being on automatic. (but also can be very annoying) I guess my point is that there really is no one way of playing and it wouldn't be as fun if there was.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:16 pm 
Clan Member

Well I'll have to say that I've only played one or two games with waldo and he owned me too. I might have killed him once.......maybe. But I don't think because of that I would ban him from the sight. Like you all know some players are better.....in this case.....much better than others. I've been playing this for about 3 or 4 years and am new to the online gaming, and as some can tell by no means an expert. I can never get the weapons to hit anything close....lol That's why I use the rocket launcher so much. I know some of the players hate when I use the lock-on with that, but it gets done to me all the time, and sometimes that's the only way I can get you....... :lol: But I just keep playing. If it gets to a point where it really bothers you that much just let me know and I will try not to use it. I'm usually a good sport and will always say GG at the end whether I've won or lost. Remember it's just a game and you will always have another chance to kill me :lol: which I'm sure you all will.

The only problem I have is when people come on and start calling me, or others, names because they are getting killed more than others. Most of the time I wont say anything but some people carry it to far, and if you're reading this you know who you are. :o There is no reason for that. After all, I have said that I will stop using it if it bothers you that much. The other day I was playing with Queen Bitch and she was getting tired of me using the rocket so I told her I would stop.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the game is much more fun when people aren't pissed at each other. If you don't like something that is going on say something to that person, but be cool about it.

Well that's just my opinion and how I feel about it.

See you all on the game,

{ABA}Hellraiser

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next