View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Home Page Home Page  [ 8 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: An Important Tactical Lesson Which is Kind of Cheap
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:54 pm 
Clan Member

Hey I just realized something--and it's really gross so bear with me. A number of players have the bots on their team follow them around for added protection (bots will do this by default unless you tell them otherwise.) So I often find when I am fighting a really good player, often that bot I ignored (or that just showed up) takes me out somewhere in the middle of the fight. This kind of bugs me but there's nothing inherently wrong with the tactic and there are ways to use it against your enemy, the most obvious being that when you see a bot spawn, follow it instead of killing it... it will lead you to your opponent. Or camp and look for a large group of bots, your REAL target is somewhere nearby. Sometimes just by studying the movements of the bots you can deduce the location of your opponent. They give away his position.

Apart from this, when bots cover me they are always in the way, they take my health drops, power ups, ammo, and get right in my face when I am firing a weapon you don't want going off at short range. "I've got your back." == "I'm in your face."

So I almost ALWAYS send my bots away right near the start of a match by specifically telling them all to "search and destroy".

This way they can't get in my way, steal my goodies, and give away my position.

BUT, here's a BIG lesson I learned: I'm on Spiffingrad, and my opponent is just RACKING up points and there is nothing for me to shoot at... why? Because all his bots are near him, he's camping, and they're picking off my bots which are out wandering around. I might be a better shot or a stronger combatant, but I'm losing because I am letting my opponent have all the easy targets while he withholds easy targets from me. In essence it's a strategic victory, but it's akin to walking a batter on purpose because he's too damn good.

So, next game is on Blackhawk. I tell ALL my bots to cover me and I camp up high at the end of a telephone wire right up against the face of a building. My bots cluster beneath me in a tight pack NOT in my way, and not wandering off where they can get shot. In the meantime I am just slaughtering my opponent and his bots when they show up because I am forcing him to come to me and bring his bots with him--if he doesn't come, he has nothing to shoot at--or certainly nothing as easy to kill as a bot. In addition I can usually tell where he is going to come from because there's always some recently spawned bot on his team running off to meet him.

I consider this to be a cheap victory (76 kills btw) because I would prefer to send all my bots away and go hunt for my opponent so I can fight another human--fighting bots is effing boring. And I don't think anyone who instructs (or lets) their bots cover them is thinking "I'll keep these bots near me so as to keep my opponent from getting any easy targets." BUT, if you let your bots cover you that is in fact what's happening... your opponent gets less kills because all the easy targets are in one place as opposed to scattered over the map.

Having figured this out, I'm not sure what to do with it except to share it. Some of you may have already thought of this, and in a way it can unbalance the game... the only level solutions I can imagine is to simply always agree to send all bots away at the start of a match on BOTH teams (search and destroy), or to play without bots (who let's face it, can totally ruin an awesome dance between two hot players.)

Or we can simply accept it as a fact of life, but it's something I had never considered (or tested) before today, and the test results were shocking.

-- Chuck Seggelin, Sagewood Studios
Photographer * Secular Humanist * Moderate Democrat

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist. -- Dom Helder Camarra

Post subject: Re: An Important Tactical Lesson Which is Kind of Cheap
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:21 pm 
Clan Member

That would also explain way some bots dont seem like they want to fight but have some place to be.
and they do get in the way a lot.
How do you change that.

Image My spelling sucks figure it out

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:25 pm 
Over Lord

If a player on each team sends all bots to "search and destroy" - it would be fine. Bot whoring bugs the hell out of me. I firmly, have asked players to quit bot whoring on many games.

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:52 pm 
Clan Member

{ABA}Worlock wrote:
That would also explain way some bots dont seem like they want to fight but have some place to be.
and they do get in the way a lot.
How do you change that.
Hit "V" to bring up the "vocal" menu, then choose "orders" (#4), and then choose "search and destroy" (#5), and then choose "[ALL]" (#1). This tells ALL bots to stop trying to defend you and just go off and fight whatever enemies they come across. Occasionally it can be fun to "post" a bot somewhere (hold this position) but remember bots lose their minds on a regular basis, and when your bot forgets about your order to be posted somewhere he'll resort to his default behavior of getting in your way trying to "protect" you. :-/

-- Chuck Seggelin, Sagewood Studios
Photographer * Secular Humanist * Moderate Democrat

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist. -- Dom Helder Camarra

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:49 pm 
Clan Member

Thanks I've never used that before.
Whats bot whoring???
I feel like a beginner.

Image My spelling sucks figure it out

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:57 pm 
Over Lord

Bot whoring is when you ask the bots to "cover me" - You wonder if this is happening when you can't find anyone to kill but you see a clump of them located near a player.....

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:56 pm 
Sarge

I've never really noticed bot whoring. Usually they go off on their merry way while I hunt the other players and bots.

Sometimes one will latch onto me to offer cover, but it usually dies in the next firefight and then finds someone else. :P

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:49 am 
Grunt

hi thanks for your information

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 8 posts ]